Friday, May 2, 2014

Workday walk

Work has already been crazy this morning as I submitted 3 abstracts to a scientific conference, edited a manuscript to submit with several colleagues to a peer-reviewed journal, and had 2 meetings. Right now, I'm practicing self-care (not overexercising, I promise) by taking a lunch break walk to do some processing.

P returns from traveling today, so last night was my final evening alone at the apartment. My day was full of stress stemming from every aspect of my life - P and I fought about how infrequently we communicate when we're apart, I was assigned several new projects by my adviser even though she's already got me so busy I haven't touched my dissertation writing in weeks, a colleague who writes poorly in English presented me with her letter of intent, a key component of submitting a research grant, at 4:30, when I was about to leave, and it was due at 5. And of course, I was pulled over on my drive home becasue my brake light is out. Woof.

After 2 really terrible days, I was almost certain I'd get home and binge and purge the evening away, but I didn't. For several important reasons.

1. I didn't restrict yesterday, eating lunch and snacks earier than usual.

2. I complained profusely to P, stemming a fight, but also allowing me to express myself.

3. On the reminder of my drive home, I thought about binging and purging, but realized it would only make me feel worse.

4. I had a wonderful run right when I got home and equally wonderful walk with Lula.

5. I spent the evening with 3 girlfriends and had a really wonderful time.

So take that, eating disorder! I made it through a stressful day successfully and though I'm not implementing my new daily structure til next week,I feel proud (though tired) today. I want to keep this momentum up through the weekend, too. Hope all of you readers are doing well this lovely first Friday of May!

No comments:

Post a Comment