Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Dietitian goes to the Dietitian

Today I met with my dietitian, a lovely lady who works at my university's student health center. We do a blind weight every week, but actually sit down to have a little chat every other week.

When I started the process of getting help back in the fall, I was so hesitant to see a dietitian. But I have a master's in nutrition and am an RD myself, I claimed! A lot of good that was doing me....

Anyway, I absolutely love going to the dietitian. I've told her I need tough love to keep me motivated and moving in the right direction. She is very open and honest with me in her assessments of how I'm currently doing, what my weight gain and overall goals are, and how to best achieve goals. I feel good after meeting with her and ready to tackle the challenges and goals she gives me at each appointment. Today was particularly important for me since P is leaving for another few days tomorrow, and then a whole week. I'm lucky to have such an awesome treatment team.

A dietitian may get a bad rep among those of us with eating disorders since they are responsible for food plans, changes and additions, and weight goals. Whatever you think of your dietitian though, remember they (usually she) has your best interest and health in mind. Recommendations and treatment plans are there to help you, even if they're extraordinarily scary. Listen to what your dietitian is saying, ignore your eating disorder, and maybe it'll all start making some sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment