Thursday, April 10, 2014

Going public

Today, in light of 60 days of sobriety, a lot of hard work, and my struggles as of late, I decided to post about my eating disorder and sobriety on Facebook. Most people I've known well over the years have an idea about my disordered eating, but it feels incredibly awesome to come clean and hear from close friends from the past. I've also received several surprises in the form of messages and support from friends and family who have also dealt with, or are dealing with, eating disorders or substance abuse.

Most importantly, a younger girl who attends the summer camp my research group organizes each summer messaged me for more information about the Renfrew Center. If I can inspire one person to get help, I've been successful in my own journey to help others find and maintain recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment