Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Renfrew Center information

I've been meaning to write something about my experience at the Renfrew Center in Coconut Creek, Florida. Following my facebook reveal, I received a message from a friend asking about treatment at Renfrew. I thought I'd at least share my response and write detailed descriptions when I have more time. My response obviously does not include any information identifying my friend!

"It is SO good to hear from you. Please, please, please don't hesitate to contact Renfrew or any treatment program in your area if you even think you're possibly interested. The initial assessments are free and you're not tied to anything - just gather some information about your treatment options and go from there.

Renfrew was a great experience. I started in their outpatient program which met 3 evenings per week (with dinner) in December but that wasn't enough support for me, so I moved up to their day treatment program. It was 5 days a week from 8:30-3pm. That also didn't work for me because I found ways around the rules (I don't recommend this approach if you go for outpatient or a day program somewhere - just comply! they know what they're doing!). So I ended up in residential in Florida. They also have a residential program in Philadelphia - both are equally respected. Residential really saved my life, broke my bad habits, and taught me how to love food again. You are assigned a therapist and a dietitian and they work with you to develop a treatment plan.

Every day, there's breakfast, lunch, and dinner (all very reasonable portions designed to maintain weight) and for weight gain, you're given a certain number of snacks and/or supplements throughout the day. Refeeding is a scary and difficult process at first, but with the support of 40-50 other girls, it ends up being manageable. Everyone at Renfrew is really great and I promise it isn't as scary as it sounds. You go at your own pace and the other girls in the program are so wonderful. I was there for a month and most people tend to stay for 1 month up to 3-4 months, depending on their situation. Do you have any specific questions? I'm always happy to answer.

You are such a strong and inspirational young lady and I would love to help support you along the way. I know it will be difficult, but hang in there and know that you deserve recovery from this. You can do it! It's so much fun on the other side!"

Please don't hesitate to comment with any other questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment