Thursday, January 2, 2014

Hello blogmosphere!

Tomorrow, I start a day treatment program at one of the country's most respected eating disorder treatment centers. Whew, I actually said it, sans freak out.

First of all, I know I am so lucky to have resources, time, and support to undergo this level of treatment. To those of you struggling on your own, I encourage you to reach out to whatever type of support if feasible for your financial, school, work, or living situation. Any help is better than no help. Maybe this blog is a start.

To give you a little history. During the past four weeks, I have participated in an intensive outpatient program at the same center. I received treatment for anorexia binge-purge type, overexercising, and alcohol abuse after experiencing heart palpitations and developing a heart murmur, but still failed to reach goals. I'm a Registered Dietitian and have a Master's Degree in Nutrition, but I cannot seem to practice what I preach. In light of treatment, I am currently taking time off from my doctoral program in, you guessed it, Nutrition.

After 9 years of struggling with myself, it's time to take my health into my own hands, feet, and typing fingers. I'll need a little extra support during this step-up in treatment, so I'm turning to anonymous blogging. Things I hope to accomplish are:

  1. Help me.
  2. Help you.
  3. Recover.

I also hope to tackle my most challenging behavior, a wicked addiction to running and exercise, and turn my obsession with burning calories into talent. While lofty, my goal is to participate in the USATF Women's Open 5K Championship in 2014 and see where I can go after that.

I hope you will follow my journey through recovery and that my words can help you, too. Please leave any positive comments, links, advice, recommendations, questions, etc., and I'm happy to answer.

Best wishes and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment