Friday, January 17, 2014

Music Therapy, A Recovery Playlist

It's a toss up which I enjoy more - running or music. Generally, both go hand in hand, for example "I love this song because it's perfect for my running playlist!". Part of recovery, though, is disentangling eating disorder symptoms like excessive running, from healthy parts of life like music.

To help me start, I've decided to put together a recovery playlist. I also included explanations for why I included each song - whether it's lyrics really hit home, or if it's simply a beautiful piece of music. I encourage you to assemble a recovery playlist for times you may need a little extra support or if you're just looking to chill out and relax. Enjoy!

1. Bonobo - Terrapin - This lovely song is one of the most relaxing tunes I've ever come across. When I'm feeling frustrated, anxious, angry, nervous, or overwhelmed, it can calm me down almost every time.

2. Classixx - Holding On - A dance-y tune guaranteed to get you moving. The chorus, "I been holding on, and I can't take it anymore" repeats throughout the song, a good mantra to beat your eating disorder.

3. Telepopmusik - Breathe - One of my all time favorite songs. There's nothing to do but believe, just believe, just breathe... And a cool video.

4. RAC featuring Kele and MNDR - Let Go - Seriously strange video, but a great tune. Light and funky.

5. Alt-J - Dissolve Me - I love this song, mostly because of the lead singer's voice, but also because of the lyrics and meaning, if you can figure them out.

6. HAERTS - Wings - I listen to this song almost every day and it's happy and fun and always lifts me up. Bonus? HAERTS are excellent live. Check em if you get the chance.

7. Francis and the Lights - Like A Dream - How can you not like this song? One of these days my mind will stop racing, and I'll get me some sleep. Cause I'm ready for the big time, is it ready for me?

Each of these songs reminds me that recovery will be sweet and something to work for. No matter how difficult and hopeless it may seem on the long journey there. I hope these songs can help you feel a little something - whether it's a push towards seeking help, a boost during recovery, or support no matter where you are in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment